Showing posts from February, 2010

Rygel 0.5.0 (Mind the Baby) is out!

The first release in the unstable 0.5.x series. Changes since 0.4.6 that were not provided by any subsequent 0.4.x releases: - New URI generation scheme that avoids problematic characters which makes some crappy renderers choke. - Allow creation of new media items and tranfering data into existing ones ( upload). This is relavent to, and works for both MediaExport and Tracker. - Implement GetTransferProgress and StopTransferResource actions. - Advertise: - support for connection stalling. - live response to be sender-paced. - Rewrite SearchCriteria parser to make it more reliable. - Tracker: - Port to the Tracker 0.7 APIs. - Provide richer & more intuitive media hierarchy. - Signal container update on changes to subjects. - Act on config options allowing user to define which categories to share. - Support for search by URI. - Descriptive IDs for containers. - MediaExport - Implement custom search that translates to an SQLite query and therefore performs m

Rygel 0.4.12 (Through the Looking Glass) is out!

Another release in the stable 0.4.x series. Changes since 0.4.10: - Fix desktop file. - A few fixes to satisfy latest valac (0.7.10). - Adapt to new libxml Vala API. All contributors to this release: Zeeshan Ali (Khattak) Andreas Henriksson Philip Withnall Download source tarball here

Regarding meaning of life

Back in the days when we were losing a lot of good souls to "World of Warcraft", I used to say to myself "Losers, there's so much in life to enjoy and so much to do to bring Free SW on every machine out there.." and promised myself that I'll never even try any MMORPG. About a month back, Rene came over to me carrying a German game magazine and showed me a comparison of the upcoming MMORPGs based on Star Trek and Star Wars. Now I can resist all games but a chance to live the life of a Star-fleet officer? No way! So I started playing Star Trek Online last month when it was still in beta and got into it. Soon I pre-ordered the game for and life-time subscription (that also allowed me to play a freed Borg character). Now when I say "I got into it", I don't mean I am playing for hours and hours everyday. It means I play maximum 5 days a week and for 1-3 hours only. Anyway, here is a nice picture taken by Ekaterina while I'm


Just like the last 2 years, I joined the FOSDEM fun. Just like every year there were lots of awesome beers, chocolates, waffles and of course conference full of awesome hackers from all over the world & their awesome talks. In short, the same old 'awesome' experience. Also I finally got to meet Jens George (phako) in person. Another thing that went it a totally unusual (and unexpected) direction was my home directory. Here is how it went: Early Sunday morning (8:00) my alarm goes off to wake me up in time for my 10:15 am talk. I manage to get up after half an hour of snoozing the alarm, get ready (including getting a shower out of almost non-functional shower), back-up my slides on USB stick and manage to get to the conference room 10 minutes before the talk along with my room-mates, Marc-Andre and Juerg. Failed to get anything to eat or even a cup of coffee before that. I open-up the lid of my laptop to find out that it won't be able to wake-up from suspend. No pro

GUPnP AV & GUPnP Vala releases

GUPnP AV 0.5.4 released Changes since 0.5.2: - Gracefully handle empty or no 'res' node. - Function to get the list of descriptors from DIDL-Lite objects. - More complete comparison for LPCM mime types. - Fix incorrect type conversion of DLNA flags. - DLNA flags should not default to a specific DLNA version. - New APIs to deal with contributor-related properties in DIDL-Lite objects. - Remove redundant construction methods. - Add forgotten header to the meta-header file. - Add and fix gobject-introspection annotations. - Lots of documentation fixes. - Many minor non-functional fixes/improvements. Bug fixes in this release: 1935 - Incorrect conversion while parsing primary DLNA Flags 1934 - DLNA Flags should not default to a specific DLNA version. 1933 - Content type matching fails when additional parameters exist in LPCM mime-type 1814 - Add "artists" property to GUPnPDIDLLiteObject All contributors to this release: Zeeshan Ali (Khattak) Yakup Akbay Za